- $3.00 per tire
- $0.15 per pound (loads with more than 8 tires)
- $0.15 per pound (large tires like farm/semi)
- Tires from equipment such as dozers, dump trucks, skid loaders, etc., are not accepted
- Tires are not accepted from tire vendors
Scrap metal is accepted for recycling at no charge at. The Agency does not pay for scrap metal.
- Scavenging is not allowed per Iowa law
Accepted Scrap Metal Includes:
- Aluminum/metal siding
- Aluminum frame windows
- Chain link fence
- Curtain rods
- File cabinets
- Furniture with metal frames
- Lawn mowers*
- Snow blowers*
- Metal sheds
- Metal shelving
- Metal swing sets
- Metal exercise equipment
- Wrought iron
*Fluids, including oil and gas, must already be drained before placing in the scrap metal pile.
What Happens Next
Scrap metal from the Agency is collected by a third-party processor. Aluminum and steel are the two most common metals for recycling.
Aluminum can be recycled an infinite number of times. Compared to the mining and production of new aluminum from bauxite, recycling aluminum is less energy intensive and more cost effective.
Steel can be recycled almost indefinitely. In fact, scrap steel is essential to the production of new steel. At least 25 percent of new steel consists of recycled material.
Once an item has been dropped off at the Agency, it cannot be removed, per State of Iowa law.